Do you have a kayak and want to use it to support a great cause?
Paddle4Peace is a fundraising event inspired by traditional road races but instead involving kayak paddlers as the core participants. You may choose to paddle competitively or paddle at your own pace as an act of solidarity.
The event will raise funds to help support the creation of a new public garden at Southern Connecticut State University: the SCSU Reflection Garden. The seed for developing this garden was the university's close ties to the Sandy Hook tragedy and commitment to social justice. The garden is being designed through community input and is conceived as the social justice public garden – a first of its kind. While the overall public garden will serve the on-campus and off-campus communities through teaching, scholarly, and personal reflective benefits, the SCSU Reflection Garden will also be the home for the SCSU Sandy Hook Memorial. The artistic vision for this memorial came from SCSU alumnae Carlene Barnes when she participated in the related art competition in 2014.
• August 5 (August 6 rain date)
• 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. - registration
• 9:30 a.m. – start of the "paddle race"
• 10 a.m. – start of the "fun paddle"
• Lake Kenosia, Danbury, Conn. (conveniently located near the Newtown community, with easy access from Route 84)
• Onsite "land-based" activities including:
More information to come!
Danbury, CT 06810
Phone: (203) 392-6900